Getting a driver’s license is mandatory for all who wish to drive on Indian roads. Driving without a license is a crime. In order to apply for a driver’s license, you need to submit certain documents. These documents include proof of age, proof of citizenship and proof of residence. Let us see which documents are considered valid and can be submitted along with the application for a driver’s license.
Driving License Classes Learning License Online Driving License Online
Driving License Renewal Drivers License Test Driving License Status
Duplicate License Driving LicenseIndia International DrivingLicense
Indian Driving LicenseValidity in Other Countries Exchange Foreign License in India
Documents required for Applying for a Driver’s License
The documents that show age proof, residence proof as well as proof of citizenship when applying for a driver’s license include:
Documents for Proof of Age
Documents for Proof of Citizenship
- School certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Passport (with an Indian address)
- Certificate issued by a registered medical practitioner not below the rank of a Civil Surgeon that proves the age of the applicant
- An affidavit sworn by the applicant before an Executive Magistrate and or a First Class Magistrate that cites the correct age.
- PAN Card
- CGHS Card
Proof of Residence
- Birth Certificate
- School Leaving Certificate/Secondary School Certificate Showing Nationality/Place of birth
- Certificate of citizenship/nationality issued by a magistrate or any other administrative officer
- Residency permit or a domicile certificate issued by state government.
- Grant of patta/lease of property by the central/state government.
- Refugee Registration card pertaining to the period of 1947-1950
- Certificate of SC/ST/OBC.
- Water Bill
- Voter’s card
- Ration Card
- Electricity Bill
- Telephone Bill (MTNL only)
- Aadhaar card
- LIC policy
- Payslip accompanied by a PF Receipt (In case of private sector employees)
- Property Ownership like, Registry, Power of Attorney etc.
- Post office or bank Passbook indicating residential address
- House tax receipt
- Certificate from employer in case of Government Servant.
- Marriage certificate issued by District Administration
- Income Tax Returns
- Residence Certificate issued by District Administration
You need to first apply for a learner’s license and then after 30 days or within 180 days, apply for a permanent license. Make sure all your document copies are attested and you carry along all the originals for verification.
Apply Learners License Online Driving License Classes in India
Apply International Drivers License Driving License Categories in India
Apply Driving License Online as a Foreigner Indian Drivers License Valid in Other Countries List