Voter’s ID card is an important document that serves as an identity proof for every Indian citizen. It is also mandatory to have a voter ID card if you wish to cast your vote. However, getting a voter’s card is a long and tedious process. You need to visit the Government office and fill an application form. Then stand in a long queue for taking a photograph and submitting the relevant documents. This deters many from applying for voter’s ID card. But, did you know you can skip all these steps and get your voter’s ID card online? Let us have a look at how to apply for voter’s ID card online.
Applying for Voter’s ID Card Online
Just a few clicks will help you get your voter’s card. You need to have a valid mobile number, all the relevant documents, that is, proof of age and address scanned as well as good Internet connection as the website is slow. Keep a digital photograph handy too.
- You need to open the ECI website by going to the link http://eci.nic.in/.
- On the Home Page of ECI you will find a box that says ‘National Voter’s Service Portal’. Click on this box and a new window will open up.
- You will find a list of National Services, and you need to scroll down to ‘Apply online for registration of new voter’.
- This link contains the Form 6, required for applying for a new Voter’s ID.
- Then choose the preferred language English/Hindi.
- Next, select your State and Assembly/Parliamentary Constituency.
- Fill in your personal details like Name, Surname, Gender, Age or Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Father’s/Mother’s/Husband’s name, address, etc. You will also be asked to fill in details of any relative or house member whose name is already listed in the voter’s list.
- Now, upload the scanned copies of the Supporting documents and your photograph.
- Fill in the Declaration and you can either click Save, if you wish to fill in some details later, Reset if the details are wrong or click Submit if you wish to apply for the voter’s card.
Alternately, you can visit http://eci-citizenservices.nic.in/ and register your mobile number. You will get a verification code on your mobile phone. Click proceed and you will have to fill in certain details like name, gender, village, place of birth, etc. Once you click save, you need to wait. After some time, you will see a continue button, click it. Soon, you will get a message on your phone stating you are registered as a new user with your User ID and password. Then you will be guided towards Form 6 that you need to fill as mentioned above.
No more waiting in long queues. Just get all your required documents ready and submit your application online. Within a few months, your voter’s ID card will be delivered to your doorstep after the election commission representative who will visit your home for verification.