A ration card is the document issued by the State Government as per the Public Distribution system. It is useful for purchasing essential commodities from the fair price shops. A ration card is very important for all Indian citizens. It not just helps purchase commodities at a subsidized rate, but also serves as an important document of identification.Sponsored Links
How to Apply for Ration Card?
Any person residing in India who desires can have a ration card issued only if he or any person on his behalf does not have a card issued already. Or he or any other member of the family is not included in any other ration card.Sponsored Links
- You need to get an application form from the Circle Office or District supply Office for making a new Consumer Card.
- The prescribed form D-1 will be issued from these offices.
- The documents required for applying for a Ration Card include:
- Water or electricity bill
- Name on the voter’s list
- Name in the family register
- Letter from the Head of the Department, if the applicant is in service
- NOC of landlord or any other relevant document like rent receipt or agreement in case of tenant.
- In case of surrender/deletion certificate, the applicant needs to cancel the old ration card. Thus, the Deletion certificate of Ration card, in case of the old ration card is also required.
- Passport-sized photographs of the head of the family attested by a gazette officer/MLA/MP/Municipal Councillor is required.
- In case the applicant cannot provide any proof of residence, the circle FSO will conduct spot inquiries and record the statements from two independent witnesses in the applicants neighborhood.
- There is no fee charged for making a ration card, except the Rs. 3 to R.15(depending on the state) Court Fee Stamp.
- In some states a Tatkal service is available, where the applicant has to deposit Rs.100/- as a processing fee and obtain a receipt from the office.
- A newly married bride may require a marriage registration certificate, joint/modified bank account, wedding invitation card or joint LIC policy with a spouse as proof of identification.
- A newborn baby requires birth certificate, parent marriage certificate and parent ration card with the name of the father or mother included in the existing ration card.
Once the form is duly filled and attached with the required documents, the ration Card is prepared an issued within 15 days. However, the procedure and time limit may slightly vary from state to state.